May 25, 2017 by bhumi
Moong daal cheela also known as puda, pancake or crepe is a quite popular snack in northern part of India. It is prepared using split moong lentils ( skinned or unskinned ). It is very healthy & protein rich recipe as Mung beans are high in nutrients & very low on carbs makes it an ideal choice for those who want to shed some extra calories.
These can be prepared with lots of variations with veggies, paneer ( cottage cheese) or sprouts fillings. In this recipe I have used cottage cheese & veggies. I remember when I was in school & my mother used to prepare these chillas for our lunch box. She always fold these in small cute facial shapes & decorate with mint & tomato sauce for nose & lips…The joy of eating then was so high , that we look like a little monster who is eating away this cute chilla man..(haha)..
Coming back to the recipe, moong dal is soaked overnight & then grounded to make smooth batter of medium consistency. These can be made soft or crisp depending on the thickness of chilla.
Serving : 2-3 person
Preparation time : 20 mins + soaking time
Cooking time : 5 mins / chilla
For chillas :
Split unskinned moong daal : 2 cups
Ginger paste : 1/2 tsp
Green chilli paste : 1/2 tsp
Coriander chopped : 1/4 cup
Salt ( as required)
Oil ( to sprinkle)
Water ( for soaking + grinding) : 4 cups + 1/4 cup
Crumbled paneer (cottage cheese) : 1/2 cup
Chopped onion : 1 medium sized
Chopped tomato : 1 medium sized
Roasted ground nuts (optional) : 1/4 cup
Red chilly powder : 1 tsp
Chaat masala : 1 tsp
Salt (as required)
- Soak the moong lentils in 6 cups of water for 2 hours. Drain the water.
- Grind the soaked lentils & make smooth batter. Throw in some ginger & chilli paste to it. Add salt & chopped coriander.
In a bowl add crumbled paneer, onions, tomatoes, roasted ground nuts, red chilly powder , chaat masala & salt. Toss & add handful of chopped coriander.
- Grease the griddle with oil & spread a laddle full of batter in thin disc. Drizzle 1-2 drops of oil around edges.
- Allow it to cook on medium flame. Lift from edges to check if it is done underside.
- Once underside is brown, sprinkle some filling in center & fold the chillas in half moon shape.
- Serve hot with dip of your choice.
1. Check temperature of griddle before pouring the batter. Batter will form lumps and will not spread evenly if the temperature is high. Wipe with wet cloth to lower down the temperature.
2. If you don’t have unskinned moong daal, soak the lentils in warm water for 2 hrs, skin will leave the lentils & float on top. Carefully drain the water so that skin will be drained off. Wash 5-6 times with fresh water to remove peel completely.
Hope you all like this recipe…do post your comments & follow me on instagram & facebook for more such easy recipes…:)