June 8, 2017 by bhumi
Sabudana Kheer or Sago Kheer is a rich creamy desert made from soaked sabudana & milk. This dessert is quite popular in India and often made on religious days.
During many festivals in India fasting is practiced in which people consumes only some limited food items and sabudana is one of them.
Kheer can be made from variety of other ingredients rice & vermicelli being the most common of all. An Indian festival is incomplete without a kheer and it is eaten widely and lovingly.
This recipe of Sabudana Lychee kheer, I have added some fresh lychees to infuse its fresh smell & flavour to the dish. The specialty of this kheer is the floral taste of lychee and sago that looks like crystals inside the kheer.
Preparation time : 6-7 hour (soaking time)
Cooking time : 1 hour + 1/2 hr (for cooling)
Serving : 4
- Full fat milk : 5 cups
- Sabudana : 1/2 cup
- Lychee pieces : 1 cup
- Lychee essence : 2 tsp
- Sugar : 4 tbsp
- Water : 3 cups (for soaking)
Rinse the sabudana till water comes clear. In a bowl, add sabudana & water and soak it for 6-7 hours or by the time it gets double in size.
- Take milk into heavy bottom pan and bring it to boil.
- Remove excess water from sabudana and add it to the boiling milk.
- Cook on a medium flame. Stir in between till it reduces to half of its quantity.
- Add sugar in milk & cook for another 10 mins. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool in room temperature.
- Once completely cooled down, refrigerate it for half and hour.
- Add 3/4 cup lychee pieces & lychee essence to the cold mixture.
- Refrigerate & serve chill with remaining lychee pieces.
Notes: In case Lychee essence is not available use any lychee crush or squash, it will work.
Hope you guys enjoyed this recipe. Do share your views, I would love to hear from you all.