March 7, 2017 by bhumi
Mexico is a country famous for its hot & wholesome food focus majorly on corn, beans, tomatoes & chilli peppers. The most common impression about Mexican food is that it is very spicy. One such famous dishes of that region is Tacos. Its a perfect evening snack, but can be enjoyed as a meal in itself. Tradionally it consists of shells made from maize flour & is topped with kidney beans.
The best thing that i like about tacos is, it is really light and can be experimented with many kind of toppings. So basically its the topping, that is a key factor & can categorize it into snacks or as complete meal. Well today I made veg tacos using very simple & readily available ingredient. This version of Tacos is very much Indian & I tried to infuse Indian tangy taste to this tradional Mexican dish.
Cooking time : 20 min
Serving : 3-4
Preparation time : 25 min
For Tacos shell
- Maize flour(makai ka atta) – 1 cup
- Refined flour – 1 cup + for dusting
- Oil – 2tbsp + 3 cups for deep frying
- Water – 1/2 cup
- salt to taste
- Boiled potato – 2 medium sized (cut into small pieces)
- Onion – 1 medium sized (Chopped)
- Tomato – 1 medium sized (Chopped)
- Grated cheese- 1/2 cup
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry mango powder -1/2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Green coriander paste – 1/2 cup
- Combine refined flour, maize flour, 2 tablespoons oil and salt in a bowl. Mix well and knead into a soft dough using water.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Make lemon sized balls & roll it into 4 inch diameter discs. Prick the discs with fork.
- Deep fry these discs one by one on low heat till they are semi crisp.
- Drain the excess oil by wrapping them with tissue paper and put a rolling pin in the center and shape into shells .
- For filling, Mix mango powder , corinder paste, red chilly powder & salt in bowl & add this wet mixture to boiled potatoes.
- Place the tacos on a plate , topped with masala potatoes.
- Now add tomatoes and onions on it .
- At last add grated cheese and enjoy your tacos.
Hope you guys enjoyed this recipe. Do share your views, I would love to hear from you all.