March 28, 2016 by bhumi
Hey everyone…How was your weekend?? Mine was super awesome. Me & my husband went to our home town to celebrate Holi for 4 days. For those who are unaware of “Holi” its a festival of colors & beginning of spring in India specially in North India. Children & adults play with powdered colors (called gulal) & enjoy delicacies & drinks. So with this colorful festival in mind, today i will share Orange upside down cake recipe with you all.
I saw this recipe in Ronitpenso’s blog & from that time only I decided to try it on Holi. Thank you so much Ronit for sharing such a wonderful recipe. However I made few changes in the original recipe as this recipe is vegetarian.
Baking time : 25 min
Preparation time : 20 min
Serving : 2-3
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Unsalted butter – 100 gms
- Confectionery sugar – 1 1/2 cup
- Orange slices – 3 (cut into round shaped)
- Orange pieces- 1 cup
- Orange zest – 2 to 3 tsp
- Vanilla essence / extract- 3 to 4 drops
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Yogurt – 2tsp
- Almonds – 1 cup (Soaked & peeled)
- Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp (I used half ENO sachet)
- Salt – a pinch
- Cherry – 2 to 3 pieces (Deseeded)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl add butter, sugar, salt, vanilla extract & yogurt. Mix well till the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly add the flour batch wise to wet mixture & fold to form a smooth mixture.
- Add Orange zest ,orange pieces & half of soaked almonds to the batter.
- Add milk to it to make it soft. Whisk the batter for 3-4 minutes if using an electric beater or for 7-8 minutes if using hands. Add baking powder & baking soda.
- Grease the cake tin with butter. Over it sprinkle some sugar around half cup.
- Place round shaped Orange slices in tin (over sugar) & adjust small sized Cherry in center of Orange slice. Spread almonds all over the tin.
- Gently pour the batter over almonds without disturbing the lower layers.
- Place the tin in a preheated oven and bake the cake at 180 degrees Celsius for 25minutes. Check the cake with toothpick, it should come out clean and dry when inserted in the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool down on wire mesh. Once completely cool, place a plate over the tin & turn it upside down. Gently remove the tin & Voilaaa!!!! Cake is ready to serve…
I hope you like this recipe. Do follow me for more interesting recipe right in your inbox and share your thoughts as I love hearing from you all…