March 17, 2016 by bhumi
Today I am going to share one of the most famous dessert recipe “Lamington”. This is an Australian dessert typically made of small pieces of sponge cake rolled in chocolate & desiccated coconut. So basically you can say it,s a three-in-one combo where you can enjoy the taste of chocolate, coconut & vanilla sponge cake which is good in itself (I ate half a cake before I started rolling it down in chocolate 😛 ). The best thing about this dessert is that three flavors are quite so distant yet so blended into each other, so that you can enjoy all three flavor in one piece.
There are many ways you can have Lamington either in single pieces or 2-3 pieces stuck together with fruit jam in between. I like to have these in traditional way with flavor of chocolate & coconut only.
Baking Time: 20 mins
Preparation time: 15 mins
Serving : 2-3
- Whole wheat flour – 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence or extract -3 to 4 drops
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Curd / Yogurt – 2 teaspoon
- Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1/2 teaspoon
- Unsalted butter – 100gms
- Confectioner’s sugar – 1 cup
- A pinch of salt
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder – 1 cup
- Brown sugar – 1 cup (or confectioner’s sugar)
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Desiccated coconut – 2 cups (dried & grated coconut)
- Strawberry – 3-4 (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl add butter, sugar, salt, vanilla extract & yogurt. Mix well till the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly add both the flour to wet mixture & fold them to form a smooth mixture.
- If your batter is too dry, add some milk to it to make it soft. Whisk the batter for 3-4 minutes if using an electric beater or for 7-8 minutes if using hands. Add baking powder & baking soda.
- Grease the square shaped cake pan with oil or butter & shift the batter.
- Place the pan in a preheated oven and bake the cake at 180 degrees Celsius for 25minutes. Check the cake with toothpick, it should come out clean and dry when inserted in the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool down on wire mesh. Once completely cool, remove it from the pan & cut into medium square pieces.
- For chocolate sauce, mix cocoa powder & sugar in a pan, add boiling water to it. Mix well to avoid lumps. Allow it to cool completely.
- Pour shredded coconut into a plate. Now roll down the cakes pieces into the chocolate sauce, covering all sides completely & then to coconut.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour , decorate with strawberry & enjoy these yummy Lamington with your friends & family.
Hope you like my recipe. Do tell me how do you like it. I would love to hear from you all. Follow my page for more such recipes right in your inbox….