March 15, 2016 by bhumi
Hi friends!!! How are you all…
Idlis are the traditional South Indian dish which is very simple to prepare at home.It is an healthy breakfast option with almost no oil is required in its preparation.Lentil & rice are soaked in water & then grind to form a smooth batter, which is then steamed in shape of cake. However, today I am going to share a different variety of Idlis which are made from Semolina or sooji. Unlike traditional Idlis it does not require any soaking, grinding or fermentation & can be made at jiffy.
These Idlis can be best enjoyed with an coconut dip or chutney. Here I am not adding any vegetables to it if you want you can some vegetable to your batter while making a cake or you can fry these Idlis with vegetable as per your choice.
Cooking time : 15 min
Serving : 3-4
Preparation time : 20 min
- Semolina (sooji or rava) – 250gm
- Curd – 1 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp ( or 1/2 sachet ENO)
- Salt – as required
- Turmeric – 1 tsp (optional)
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp (optional)
For tempering (tadka)
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- In a bowl add semolina, salt, curd & water. Mix to form a smooth paste. Let the idli batter sits for around 10-15 mins. Add ENO or baking soda to the batter.
- Put the steamer on flame. Grease the idli moulds & place batter in moulds. I have added some turmeric & red chili powder over batter for garnishing, if you want you can skip this & can have white stunning Idlis.
- Once the water starts boiling, put moulds in steamer & on flame high ,cook for 7-8 mins.
- Check by inserting a toothpick if it comes out clean. Idlis are ready.
- Remove from heat & allow it to cool.
- For seasoning, put a pan on flame, add oil to it. Once it is hot, add mustard seeds & wait till it pop, add curry leaves.
- Now add Idlis to this and your dish is ready.
Enjoy your Rava idli with coconut chutney or any dip of your choice.
Do tell me how you like this recipe. I would love to hear from you all. Hit like button if you like it.
Bhumi signing off….