February 24, 2016 by bhumi
Hi guys!!! How are you all…
Recently we attended a marriage of a very dear & old friend of mine. Everything there was so mesmerizing…bride & groom in their best attire, loving parents, soothing shehnai music, happy faces all around…such a beautiful affair when two hearts chooses to be a one 🙂
I personally love attending marriages apart from all the reasons above I have one more reason “THE FOOD”. Mouthwatering delicacy from all over the India was presented there but there was something which grabs my attention. A man standing with a big hot griddle (tawa) supported on the elevated stove stand. The vegetable are arranged on griddle at outer circle & in center he has placed some spicy semi- dry gravy. When someone ask for tawa sabzi he has been given a choice to choose his favorite veggie or combination of veggie & that particular veggie is bought in the center of griddle, tossed with gravy & served to him. That is one portion of tawa vegetable. Isn’t it excited? It was that very moment I decided to try this delicacy at home.
Serving : 5-6
Preparation time : 15 min
Cooking : 25 min
For gravy/ masala
- Garlic & ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
- Onion – 1 cup ( fined chopped)
- Tomato – 1 cup (pureed)
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Bay leave – 1 (big sized)
- Cummin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon – 1 to 2 small pieces
- Dry mango powder – 1 teaspoon
- Beaten curd – 4 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 4 to 5 teaspoon
- Fenugreek leaves – 1 teaspoon (dried leaves)
- Okra/ ladyfinger – 100gms
- Potato – 1 big sized
- Eggplant / brinjal – 1 medium sized
- Green chilli – 1
- Capsicum – 1 medium sized
- Cut all vegetable in medium sized pieces.
- In a non stick pan add two teaspoon oil & put the flame on high. Now add potatoes. Toss it for 2 min.
- Add rest of the veggies & toss till the veggies are half done. Or an alternative one can deep fry also, but as I prefer less oil in my preparations I do it this way. High flame add smokey flavor to the veggies. Check the nice light brown color on veggies. Shift the veggies in plate & kept aside.
- In the same pan, add two teaspoon of oil. Let the oil heated for half minute add garlic ginger paste, bay leave & cinnamon. Cook till the paste is golden brown.
- Add chopped onions & all dry spices, cook it till onion are golden brown.
Add tomato puree to it & cook till the liquid evaporates & mixture starts separating oil. Add 3 tea spoon of beaten curd to it. Cook for 2-3 min more. Check the consistency of mixture. If its too dry then add 2-3 spoon of water to it.
- Divide the gravy in two parts. One part taken out in a bowl & in another part add fried vegetables & toss in gravy.
- Now for the arrangement, place the tawa on low flame. Arrange veggies on the outer circle & in center place the gravy which we have taken out in step 7.
- Let the veggies be heated on low flame. Ask your guest to choose their favorite piece of veggie…toss the vegetable with extra masala in center & served hot.