February 8, 2016 by bhumi
Hi guys!! It’s almost a decade I think I have pen down my next recipe. I knew I sound quite a dramatic (hehe) but seriously from now onward I will be in regular touch. Office these days is so tiring for me that I come home & lay down browsing for more & more recipe. Similar thing happened to me last week also, as an everyday routine I came home after a hectic office day & went to the kitchen for dinner preparation. I took some veggies for salad & start peeling them….I noticed hey I have lots of CARROT…& suddenly the cook in me got an idea!!!….CARROT HALWA….Well winters are almost oven in Delhi & I haven’t made halwa this whole winters….so decision of halwa was welcomed by Mr. Husband as well 🙂
Carrot halwa is an India’s most popular traditional dessert & can be easily prepared at home & stored in refrigerator for good 7-8 days.
Cooking time: 1 hr
- Carrot : 15-16 medium sized
- Milk (full fat) : 2 lts
- Sugar : 1 cup
- Ghee : 1/2 cup
- Khoya (mawa): 1 cup (optional)
- Cardamom : 3-4 piece (powdered)
- Cashew : 8-10 pieces (graded)
- Raisins : 15-20 pieces
- Almonds : 8-10 pieces (graded)
- 1) Peel & grate the carrots.
- 2) In a heavy bottomed pan put the milk on boil.
- 3) After one boil, add grated carrots to it & put the flame on medium. Stir in between till the milk reduces 1/4 quantity or in level with grated carrots.
- 4) Add ghee & sugar. Stir continuously on medium flame till the milk evaporates completely.
- 5) Add raisins, Cardamom powder, Cashew & Almonds. Serve hot.
If you want to add khoya then in a separate pan, add half cup of ghee & add khoya to it. Cook it until its color changes to light brown. Add this khoya along with ghee & sugar in step 4 above.